September 25, 2008

...crooks and rooks...


we're shooting a video for this song with xylophone (the guys who brought you the 'bebot' and 'champion' videos), so i won't say too much about this until that video is out.



what i will mention is the fact that this was not supposed to go on the album. nick james shot me this beat on a whim, and i fell in love with it -- but, i didn't want to put it on the album. i recorded the joint, and it just screamed to be a part of this album. this is one of my favorite songs on the album.

let's end this gang violence and live peace. black and brown unity now!

underneath the new era is the mind of a crook
who turned everything around when his cousin got took
that's why i look through the crooks and rooks hat like i do
'cause the world looks different from the car rear view
filipino from the flats who's seen the casualties of war
so i stand behind a mic and tell my young, "no more!"
i swore i would do my best to bring that peace
by uniting our gangs
no matter what street
sts
hellside
pr
trg
temple street
akp
jfx
bng
every gang from l.a. to all of southeast asia
my cambodian, samoan and chimoro gangsters
our people are the same
it's a map that divides us
fuck it
let me chill just give me love when i ride up
that's me in the castle hat and crooks t-shirt
i stay pushing forward
never moving in reverse...

4 comments:

R O A D S said...

'our people are the same
it's a map that divides us'

is the line that stood out the most to me of this song.. i scream that out loud in my car, of course, by myself.. haha..

Nina Parks said...

"underneath the new era is the mind of a crook
who turned everything around when his cousin got took
that's why i look through the crooks and rooks hat like i do
'cause the world looks different from the car rear view"

I know this is a big part of your own personal history. As with my own. Sometimes it takes the loss of a loved one for people to push for a different life for themselves and for the people around them. It's hard because I know what it took for me to wake up to the greater world and as much as we don't want these youth to have those same experiences they just might have to. The best thing we can do it create avenues to help them cope, understand, and heal from their life journey.
Anyhow...

Word up Cousin! I can't wait for the video to come out.
And by the way "Exact Change"... Let's put it this way if there was an introductory manual for a young revolutionary activist or just a young urban man. That's "Exact Change."

Additionally, with me finally going back to work with youth (Case Manager in Training) It's been modivational reminding me of some of the important things to keep in mind.

Nicky Free said...

whoa! bam i gotta get in the video! if possible? people are giving me mad love for the two tracks i produced. people are loving the album. peace fam

false said...

word up! the song is straight truth. where you gonna be filming the video? if in the echo park, eagle rock, atwater village area, hit me up! i got a bunch of background extras for youuu!!